Re: [Exim] Authenticated smtp

Autor: Nathan Ollerenshaw
A: Ron McKeating
CC: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Authenticated smtp
On Jul 27, 2004, at 1:04 AM, Ron McKeating wrote:

> If you want to use authenticated smtp and you want to use the plain or
> login authenticators, what is the best way of using /etc/shadow. I
> understand it is possible to create a group, put user exim in the group
> and give the group rights over /etc/shadow. Are there any other better
> ways of doing it ?

If you're using a reasonably modern operating system that has pam, you
can use it do the same thing. Exim's spec.pdf, page 111 (numbered 99 in
the pdf), or
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/spec_11.html#IX936:

"
For example, the configuration of a LOGIN authenticator might contain
this setting:

server_condition = ${if pam{$1:${sg{$2}{:}{::}}}{yes}{no}}

For a PLAIN authenticator you could use:

server_condition = ${if pam{$2:${sg{$3}{:}{::}}}{yes}{no}}
"

I've not tried it, but generally the documentation is right :)

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - Unix Systems Engineer
ValueCommerce - http://www.valuecommerce.ne.jp/