Re: [Exim] exim + courier + mysql virtual domain setup

Author: Dave Restall - System Administrator,,,
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim + courier + mysql virtual domain setup
Hi,

Sorry about the post to the list.

> I realise this is not directly related to exim but I was hoping someone
> here could help me out since the courier-imap list is dead on this.
>
> I'm trying to follow the guide on
> http://www.tty1.net/virtual_domains_en.html
> for setting up virtual domains with exim and courier. The exim portion
> is untested yet but should not be so hard. What I'm having issues with
> is the courier portion. I'm using Fedora Core 2 and built courier via
> RPM. So I have two courier packages installed. courier-imap and
> courier-imap-mysql. I setup the table exactly as shown in the web page
> (except I changed the default UID/GIDs to those for the mail user). I
> added several people (local and virtual) to the database. But when I
> load courier-imap with the authmysql module loaded, no one can login. It
> always fails. Courier has horribly ineffient logging in this aspect.
> There is absolutely no information in /var/log/maillog about what is
> going on and I cann't find a way to make it log any more details.
>
> If there's a better howto I'm all ears. Otherwise this is the only howto
> I have seen that uses exim, Courier, and virtual domains. I would
> really love to get this working. So any tips are most welcome!

I use this combination and had some minor problems setting it up,
however I used courier sources and built the whole thing from scratch
rather than use RPM or DEB packages.

The first thing I did was to turn on logging in MySQL so that it logged
the queries being made. Once this happened and I could understand what
Courier was trying to do.