Re: [Exim-dev] Exim's handling of Bcc lines (was Re: [BUG] …

Author: Derek Martin
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [Exim-dev] Exim's handling of Bcc lines (was Re: [BUG] mutt 1.2.5 sends mail with Bcc: header)
On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:44:50AM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 01:09:45PM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:
> > RFC 822 is superceeded by 2822; it is therefore irrelevant.
>
> Dear Derek
>
> | 0822 Standard for the format of ARPA Internet text messages. D.
> |      Crocker. Aug-13-1982. (Format: TXT=109200 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC0733)
> |      (Obsoleted by RFC2822) (Updated by RFC1123, RFC1138, RFC1148,
> |      RFC1327, RFC2156) (Also STD0011) (Status: STANDARD)
>                                                  ^^^^^^^^
> | 2822 Internet Message Format. P. Resnick, Ed.. April 2001. (Format:
> |      TXT=110695 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC0822) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
>                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fair enough, but it actually makes no difference whatever to my
arguments...

> If your MUA can't construct the headers and envelope for
> transmission appropriately, and I encourage you to look at the way
> that it passes mail to the MTA for onward transmission, that would
> seem to be your MUA's problem.

As you no doubt realize, I also use mutt, and I wouldn't have a
problem were I to switch to using Exim as my MTA, NOW THAT I AM AWARE
OF THE ISSUE... The trouble is, the vast majority of e-mail users
won't know that Exim behaves this way, or even that their provider
uses Exim, and (as you no doubt already know from other posts) are
quite dismayed to find out that a message they wrote to their
co-worker and Bcc'd to their boss clearly shows that they did so. Or
some such similar case.

The point is that Exim can, and therefore should, prevent this kind of
thing from happening. Other MTAs do it, so clients expect it. For
reasons I've already stated, that expectation isn't unreasonable.

> This is also probably the wrong list to be discussing this on.

My apologies for using the wrong list... I'm not an Exim user, and
I'm not interested in how one uses Exim, per se; my concern is the
design of the program itself. The dev list seemed to be the right
place to discuss changes to the behavior of the program, but I could
find only vague references to the dev list on the exim home page when
I looked, so it wasn't clear. Actually signing up for the dev list
wasn't so easy... I guess that's by design.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/