Re: [Exim] Opinions sought on the format of the next Exim co…

Autor: Niall Mansfield
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Opinions sought on the format of the next Exim course
Phil,

> Day 1 (unchanged):
>
  >   Morning, just before lunch:  Introduction to Internet mail
  >   Afternoon:                   Exim introduction and overview
  >                                Overview of Exim configuration

> Day 2:
>
  >   Morning:       Configuring routers and transports - same material as
  >                  now, but taken more slowly. This would also include coverage
  >                  of filters.

  >   Afternoon:     First guest speaker for the first hour
  >                  First demo/practical:
  >                    Install Exim from source
  >                    Demonstrate default configuration
  >                    Modify configuration - e.g. install virtual domains

From my own course-giving/tutorial experience, I think the above
timetable might be better with:

    - more of the elementary stuff up front.  In particular,
      the "Demonstrate default configuration" (or a "Baby's First
      Exim Config").

    - ensure the first practical session is on day-1.  That way,
      students can play with their laptops on the first evening
      and be better equipped to understand day-2 / ask more
      informed questions.

Alternatively, you could leave the existing 2-day course as it stands,
and just glue on at the front a 1-day, hands-on, tutorial session.
Benefits of that approach:

    - students better prepared for days 2 & 3 (as above)

    - someone else could run it if you wanted, so you wouldn't have
          to make any changes!

    - people under time pressure could omit the tutorial part and
          just come for 2 days, instead of not attending at all.

Regards,
Niall