Re: [Exim-dev] Exim's handling of Bcc lines (was Re: [BUG] …

Author: Derek Martin
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [Exim-dev] Exim's handling of Bcc lines (was Re: [BUG] mutt 1.2.5 sends mail with Bcc: header)
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 01:34:22PM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:
> > A5004: Exim removes Bcc: lines only if you call it with the -t option (i.e.
> >        when it is acting partly as an MUA).

This is another point I neglected to address, though it is mostly a
semantic point and not very important. However I think that it is
characteristic of a misunderstanding of the role of the MUA and the
MTA, and thus worth mentioning.

When called with the -t option, I think it is not correct to think of
exim as acting partly as MUA. It is the job of the MUA to compose and
display e-mail for the user. The role of the MTA is to transmit
e-mail between various computers. However, clearly before the MTA can
do that, it must have accepted in some way a message from an MUA to be
passed on, i.e. it must provide an INTERFACE for MUAs to pass on mail.
When Exim is invoked in this manner, it is not acting as an MUA, but
merely interfacing with some MUA.

As it happens, one can invoke the MTA on the command line and type in
the message directly. However Exim should still not be considered the
MUA in this case; instead the MUA is the user's terminal, or standard
input. Exim is only interfacing with the user's chosen MUA (his
terminal) in order to collect messages for transmission.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/