Re: [Exim] hole in message_size_limit? (was: verify = heade…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Ron
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] hole in message_size_limit? (was: verify = header_sender ...)
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Ron wrote:

> Exactly, which is why I came to believe we probably need both a size clamp
> and a maximum time window for DATA to complete within.

Noted.

> > message_size_limit applies to all messages handled by Exim. It has no
> > inbuilt concept of incoming and outgoing.
>
> Ok. In 14.23 it mostly talks about incoming messages, though it was clear
> that as a transport option it applies to outgoing messages.

Oh sorry. Apologies.

You and I are using "incoming" and "outgoing" differently. I was
thinking you meant "outgoing from my site" and "incoming to my site"
(which is a common usage). It seems you really meant "incoming to this
host" and "outgoing from this host". Yes, 14.23 is concerned with
incoming to this host.

The *global* message_size_limit does indeed apply to all messages that
Exim receives, from whatever source.

The *transport* option message_size_limit further limits the size of
messages that can be handled by that particular transport. It makes
sense only if it is smaller than the global limit.

> Some carefully placed new timeout limits and something like the acl
> described above for oversize messages would probably about cover what
> I see we could reasonably do here. Someone may suggest a better way
> to implement the same result though.

Timeout, maybe. I don't think the effort of an ACL is worth it. (There
is nothing it could do other than "drop".)