Re: [Exim] request for retry type

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: John Jetmore
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] request for retry type
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, John Jetmore wrote:

> As an ISP we handle mail that is ultimately destined for client mail
> servers. Some of these clients have installed brain dead spam filters on
> already braindead mail servers, causing them to terminate the connection
> (hard reset, ignoring smtp) causing us to retry the mail for a long time.
> I was wondering if a connection_reset error type for retry would be
> appropriate. Even better (potentially) would be multiple types for where
> it occurred in the transaction - connection_reset_data,
> connection_reset_rcpt, etc, w/ a generic connection_reset to handle any
> type of reset.

I am not an expert on the different TCP/IP stacks, but I seem to recall
that a dropped connection can sometimes lead to EPIPE as well as to
ENETRESET or ECONNRESET.

However, more flexibility in the different errors that can be identified
is something that should be looked at one day. I'll add it to the Wish
List.