Re: [Exim] Accepting mail for users in a MySQL database

Author: Avleen Vig
To: Dan Barry
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Accepting mail for users in a MySQL database
On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:39:56AM -0500, Dan Barry wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to set up Exim to receive and send messages for users
> whom have their authentication information in a MySQL table. I found
> several sources for info on how to do this, but most is either for
> Exim 3.x or doesn't quite work right.
>
> I compiled Exim with LOOKUP_MYSQL=yes in Local/Makefile, so MySQL
> lookups are enabled.
>
> QPopper is installed and works. It saves successful POP logins to the
> relay_ip table for POP-before-SMTP authentication.
>
> Exim gives me no errors on startup. My configure file and mainlog are
> available at http://www.dajoob.com/configure and
> http://www.dajoob.com/mainlog The mainlog shows the errors from trying
> to send a message from Outlook Express and trying to send a message
> via the PHP mail() function.

2004-07-18 14:32:51 1BmFDh-000091-DU failed to expand "${lookup mysql
{SELECT DISTINCT domain FROM djcusrs WHERE domain LIKE
'${quote_mysql:$domain}' AND userid LIKE '${quote_mysql:$local_part}'
AND isalias='no'}{$value}}" while checking a list: lookup of "SELECT
DISTINCT domain FROM djcusrs WHERE domain LIKE 'dajoob.com' AND userid
LIKE 'root' AND isalias='no'" gave DEFER: MYSQL connection failed: Lost
connection to MySQL server during query

I would start mysql with the --log option, and then look at the
<hostname>.log in your mysql data directory to see what is being sent to
MySQL. It looks like you're either sending too much, or MySQL is having
some kind of error. Either way, mysql is dropping your connection.

Oh, and about your PHP mail() problem - is your web server running as
root, or is tje mail getting send to root@yourdomain?
Both of those are a no-no, and will cause errors.

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator