[Exim] Exim stops to start queue runners.

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: [Exim] Exim stops to start queue runners.
Hi,

I'm currently running exim 4.40, since I've switched to linux kernel
2.6.7 (2.4.x before) exim sometimes misses an alarm, so the queue
runners do not start. When sending the daemon a SIGALRM via kill,
everything works fine for one day, or two. Does anyone else encounter
these problems?

As exim reacts to a manual SIGALRM, either the original SIGALRM gets
lost somewhere (kernel failure?) or exim does not set alarm at all. The
only possible reason for the later, as I could see from browsing the
sources, would be when someone uses an expansion in
smtp_accept_max_per_host, that in effect uses its own alarm (like ldap
lookups, or readsocket). But I don't use expansions in
smtp_accept_max_per_host.

Nico

P.S. the same happened with exim 4.34, so it's not 4.40 specific.