Re: [Exim] temporarily rejected RCPT

Author: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
To: Jan Lühr
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] temporarily rejected RCPT
On fre, 2004-07-16 at 19:52 +0200, Jan Lühr wrote:
> Am Freitag, 16. Juli 2004 06:04 schrieb Kjetil Torgrim Homme:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 22:26 +0200, Jan Lühr wrote:
> > > I've been using Exim 4.34 on my debian woody (backport from
> > > http://www.logic.univie.ac.at woody/) for weeks without any problem.
> > > Last week, exim started to refuse to deliver mail brought in by MUA's via
> > > SMTP (TLS or Plain (SSL-Tunneled)). It says:
> > >
> > > 2004-07-15 22:12:27 H=dial-194-8-196-171.netcologne.de (dagobert)
> > > [194.8.196.171] F=<jan@???> temporarily rejected RCPT
> > > <jlu ehr@???>
> >
> > hard to say without seeing your ACLs, I think. but I do know that your
> > messages would be _permanently_ rejected by my server. "dagobert" isn't
> > a valid argument for HELO, it needs to be fully qualified.
>
> Hmm... That sounds logical. But the point is I have not set any ACLs on
> purpose. Everyone who is able to authorize himeself with a valid username and
> password should be able to send mail. It's a logged, anyway, maybe some
> defaults might have changed. Do you have a more specific idea? I don't have
> whitelists, blacklists, etc...

do the ACLs contain secrets?

> What should I look for?

DNS is still a possibility. also it could be your client, just from
your original message we've already located two serious (IMHO) faults in
standards compliance.

I'd start with ruling out the client. run SMTP sessions manually, using
openssl s_client and exim -bh.

> > (BTW, Kmail screwed up your Subject. RFC 2047 encoded-words must appear
> > as atoms, ie. with surrounding whitespace.)
>
> Well... ehm maybe. Feel free to write a bugreport, if you like to. Surely you
> know it better than I...

but I don't use the program and can't (won't) check if it is fixed in a
newer version or in CVS.

--
Kjetil T.