RE: [Exim] Final Peer Review Sought: "Spam Filtering for MXs…

Author: Jan-Peter Koopmann
To: Tor Slettnes
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: RE: [Exim] Final Peer Review Sought: "Spam Filtering for MXs" HOWTO
On Thursday, July 15, 2004 10:10 AM Tor Slettnes wrote:

> In my own defense, I would say that where this message _does_
> occur in the document, it is always in response to
> _conclusive_ evidence of ratware. Namely:

I would have to look this up again. Nevertheless I felt I had to make
all errormessages a bit more "conclusive". I tweaked the ACLs a bit
yesterday to generate nice X-Exim-CompanyName headers etc.

> Given that we *know* conclusively that we are dealing with
> ratware at this point, I don't see a need to give the spammer
> any more information (i.e. recipe for getting around it).

Possibly... On the other hand no spammer at this time will actually
analyze the error messages. They simply try to get their load to you
server and if they fail they have a few million other potential victims.

> But saying "message was delivered by ratware" after failing
> to verify the sender address (especially when it is due to
> your own problem) is, well, misleading.

:-)

> BTW, I think your attribution is not up to snuff. I wrote the above,
> not "exim-users-admin".

Sorry. QuoteFix messed this up due to the headers used in the list.

Regards,
JP