Re: [Exim] multiple exim, same spool

Autor: Dan Egli
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] multiple exim, same spool
Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, David Amiel wrote:
>

>>Is there a way to make several exim (on different servers) to work in the
>>same (shared) spool directory ?
>

> Check out the localhost_number option.
>
> But I wouldn't really advise putting the spool on shared storage. It's
> going to increase contention, quite apart from the network traffic.

So how would you recomend such a setup, Philip? Let us assume a simple
setup:

2 Systems dedicated to receiving mail
1 System dedicated to Sending mail

The receive systems have no queue runners (-bd only), and do not attempt
to send mail at all. They are basically queue only.
the Sending systems technically are normal, but let's say port 25 is
blocked (eg. Linux Iptables).

Now let's assume I'm a customer of this ISP. I send a message to the
receiving machine that is intended to go to my friend on a whole
different system. So it goes into the Queue from one of the reception
systems, and the sending system picks it up and sends it out.

I feel this would not be such an uncommon setup.

One of the local ISP's here has a similiar setup. They have one machine
listed as an MX (mx.theisp.com) and then they have their "user mail
server" mail (mail.theisp.com). Now their mx machine has address .221,
but mail gets address .200.

With what I understand you to be saying here, the queues on mail and mx
would be independant. Is that correct? Or am I missing something?

--
-- Dan