[Exim] failed to expand "${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{SYSTEM…

Author: Chuck.Moore
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] failed to expand "${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE}}": failed to open

Greetings:

I am writing in response to the following message:

http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20040223/067253.html

I, too, experienced a failure when testing exim-4.34 after having used 4.10 and 4.20
for many months. The error message I saw was regarding existance of the "aliases"
file.

[Exim] failed to expand
"${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE}}"

Since I had not had this problem before, I decided to compare my configure file as
used for 4.20 (which, thankfully, I had saved in advance!) with the 4.34 file after I had
made my modifications.

from 4.34 configure

system_aliases:
driver = redirect
allow_fail
allow_defer
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE}}
# user = exim
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe

# #######
#
# BEGIN COMPARISON SECTION FROM 4.20 configure file.

# The following segment is from the configure file I used for
# compiling 4.20 and it worked. There is some problem with the
# aliases reference, so this is for comparison purposes and is
# to be commented out entirely.

# system_aliases:
# driver = redirect
# allow_fail
# allow_defer
# data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
# # user = exim
# file_transport = address_file
# pipe_transport = address_pipe

# END OF COMPARISON SECTION FROM 4.20 configure file.
#
# #######

Clearly, the problem is that the 4.20 configure explicitly spelled the location of aliases.
I changed the 4.34 configure file to do the same, and recompiled for a successful
build. BUT, could not one also add

SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE = "/etc/aliases"

and then would the configure file work as is or would

data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE}}

need to be changed to

data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{$SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE}}

?

I realize there is little point in making two changes when one will do; but if the variable
had been defined in the 4.20 configure file, I would have defined it also when
preparing.

Not beating a dead horse, but I was baffled at the error because I knew that the
aliases file existed -- we make extensive use of it!