[Exim] Lookups using and external application

Author: Carl Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Lookups using and external application
Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have searched around and have come
up blank.

Instead of using lsearch to look at a file or dbm,ldap,etc is there a
way to run an external applications to do a lookup? I need to do a smtp
query to GroupWise to verify the local_part. I would like to do this
before excepting the message.

Details:
We use exim as a smart gateway between the internet and our internal
email system. The internal email system is GroupWise and is run by a
different group. From what they tell me and from my own studies there
is no possible way to get the local_parts from the system using ldap or
anything else (aliases, nicknames, etc). I wrote a small shell script
that when passed local_part it makes a smtp connection to GroupWise to
verify the local_part is valid. Right now I have it returning the
local_part if true and nothing if false (I could change this). Is there
a way to do this? Also what if GroupWise is down (not that uncommon)?
Is there a way to spool or temporary reject until it comes back?

Thanks,
           Carl