Re: [Exim] Logs configuration

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Logs configuration
Peter Richards <jehoshua77@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, when Exim is invoked (by Perl, PHP etc, )
> there is no trace in the Exim logs of which user
> actually sent the email.
>
> For example, a php process runs as the user nobody, so
> apparently there is no way/method to configure the
> Exim logs to show:
>
> * Date/Time stamp
> * Message ID#
> * User (or GUID, UID,etc)
> * Source domain on the server where Exim was run
> (although this can be fudged, can't it ? )

If the process calling Exim runs as nobody, then it *was* nobody who sent
the mail, which is why Exim logs it that way. If that process was doing the
sending on behalf of some other user, then it should know this and should be
responsible for logging it - I presume youre getting att he cpanel header
insertion problem you had a while back, I suspect the cpanel scripts did it
that way for this very reason.

Peter