Re: [Exim] command in programquery returns 127

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Christian Vogel
CC: Dale Amon, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] command in programquery returns 127
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Christian Vogel wrote:

> you could add one line before the _exit() to get a clue
> why it failed:
>
>         log_write(0,LOG_MAIN,"child_open_uid(\"%s\") failed: %s",
>                 argv[0],strerror(errno));

> maybe that would also be a good idea for the regular exim-distribution?
> Or is this a stupid idea? (it is not tested by me).

I'm afraid it's a stupid idea, because it won't work. :-)

The reason is that the process is not running as root or the exim user
at this point. Therefore, it cannot write to the log file.

Actually, that is not quite true. If the log file has been previously
opened, then it will be able to write to it, but you can't rely on the
log file being open.