Re: [Exim] Exim4 and Mailman 2.1.4 -- SMTP error 550 on remo…

Autor: Scott Call
A: John Ackermann N8UR
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim4 and Mailman 2.1.4 -- SMTP error 550 on remote postings
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:

> I'm guessing that a failure to find the list name for a remote sender, but
> not for a local one, points to some kind of either ACL or address munging
> problem in the exim4 config file, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to
> figure out what it might be.
>
> Any suggestions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not familiar with debian's config for exim, but I imagine it might be
a permissions problem.

Since the mailman transports check for the existance of a mailling list
config files (like /usr/local/mailman/lists/$local_part/config.pck) to
authenticate an address, if the uid/gid that exim runs as does not have
read access to those directories, they will fail.

This probably doesn't show up locally because exim is suid root or the
user you're testing from has read access to those directories.

Of course it could be something else entirely, but that's where I'd
start...

-S