Re: [Exim] New snapshot of candidate for 4.40

Author: Andrew V Stikheev
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] New snapshot of candidate for 4.40
According to Philip Hazel:
> I've just put a new snapshot (4.390) in
>
> ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-snapshot.tar.gz
> ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-snapshot.tar.gz.sig
>
> This is the code that I'm planning to release as 4.40, probably
> immediately after the Exim course in Cambridge (the doc still needs some
> work - you only have ChangeLog and NewStuff in the snapshot). There's
> quite a lot of new code in it, so if people can test and find any
> problems, I'd be grateful.
>
> Regards,
> Philip

Nice news!

Philip, when do you plan add N266 from the wishlist ? May I help you ?

" (266) 25-May-04 S +ignore_unknown for host lists

Another alternative to +include_unknown "

And what do you think about turn it on by default?

As I wrote already:

1. Whithout this option result of verifying depends on the order of hosts in
the hostlist:

       1)   hostlist relay_from_hosts = non-existent-domain : 192.168.0.1
            Relay from 192.168.0.1 not permitted.

       2)   hostlist relay_from_hosts = 192.168.0.1 : non-existent-domain
            Relay from 192.168.0.1 permitted.

2.

> Correct. Exim assumes you have screwed up by specifying a non-existent
> host. So it takes a cautious line.

But it's wrong assumption, because it's may be a temporary dns problem,
for example a error after regular reconfiguration. In this situation
relay not permitted from all hosts until dns-administrator fixed this error in dns.
Relay from all hosts not permitted because of the problem with only the one.
Imho, it's a wrong strategy.

What about a smtp_ratelimit_hosts? In this case the rate limit is disabled for
all hosts. Is it right?