Re: [Exim] Log Analyzing

Autor: Dan Egli
A: Christian Hertel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Log Analyzing
Christian Hertel wrote:

> --
> Hello all!
>
> I have an exim setup which delivers incoming mails via tcp/ip to
> amavisd, amavisd via tcp/ip back to exim, exim via pipe to spamc and
> finally via pipe back to exim.
> The problem now is to backtrace the way of a mail goes through exim in
> the maillog, because the message-id changes with every time it leaves
> exim.
>
> Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem, or at least how to
> deal with it?
> My idea was to add a new header line called "Origin-Message-ID:" in the
> first router (before the mail leaves exim first) and to print out the
> value of this header line in every log entry. But I found no possibility
> to modify the logfile output accordingly.

if you're looking at the ID= lines in the log, that's exim's temp id for
the files. The actual message-id header line is unchanged unless
someething screwed it up. I have a nearly identical setup, but I use
sa-exim so for me it's like this:

(legend: -> passed a copy, wait for response; => passed for delivery)

(Exim -> spamc) => amavisd => exim => procmail

Works great. You're going to get people who recomend exiscan, and while
that would certianly work, I like the amavisd approach better myself.
Then again I haven't looked at exiscan in some time. But I like keeping
my system based on RPMs as much as possible and there are no RPMs that
I've ever seen for exiscan. Especially none produced by RedHat.

--
-- Dan