[Exim] Variable expansion doesn't work anymore

Author: Steven J. Sobol
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Variable expansion doesn't work anymore
Exim 4.22 running on RH8

Relevant snippets from my config: (The routers are listed in the order in
which they appear but there are a few that run before the ones listed)

LOCAL_DOMAINS=mysql;select domain from local_domains where
domain='$domain'

VIRTUSER_SPECIFIC_USER=SELECT destination FROM virtusers WHERE
domain='${domain}' AND user='${local_part}'
VIRTUSER_FORWARD_DOMAIN=SELECT CONCAT('${local_part}','@',destination)
FROM virtusers WHERE domain='${domain}'$
VIRTUSER_SINGLE_DEFAULT=SELECT destination FROM virtusers WHERE
domain='${domain}' AND user='__DEFAULT__'

# BEGIN forward/aliasfile/virtusertable directors

virtusers:
driver = redirect
domains = LOCAL_DOMAINS
rewrite = true
allow_fail
allow_defer
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
user=exim
group=mail
data=${lookup mysql{VIRTUSER_SPECIFIC_USER}{$value}fail}

virtusers_default_specific_address:
driver = redirect
rewrite = true
allow_fail
allow_defer
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
user=exim
group=mail
domains = LOCAL_DOMAINS
data=${lookup mysql{VIRTUSER_SINGLE_DEFAULT}{$value}fail}

virtusers_default_forward_entire_domain:
driver = redirect
rewrite=true
allow_fail
allow_defer
user=exim
group=mail
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
domains = LOCAL_DOMAINS
data=${lookup mysql{VIRTUSER_FORWARD_DOMAIN}{$value}fail}

Now the problem: This is from an actual record out of my mysql database
(it's the 'destination' field). With Exim 3.x this worked. With Exim 4.22
it does not, it doesn't expand $original_local_part and instead includes
the string literal '$original_local_part' in the error message...

fail:$original_local_part@??? is no longer valid. Please use
$original_local_part@??? instead. |

What am I doing wrong?

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@???
Apple Valley, California     Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.