Re: [Exim] Exim and mail statistics

Author: Yann Golanski
To: Odhiambo G. Washington, Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim and mail statistics
Quoth Odhiambo G. Washington on Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 18:41:44 +0300
> 1. The total volume of all mail my server sent out (in MB and count)
> 2. The total volume of mail my server received (in MB and count).
>
> Item (1) is about remote_smtp transport while (2) is about local
> deliveries.
>
> Is there some application out there that can be used to achieve this?
> I have looked at some MRTG implementations, but I still feel they are
> not what I want.

I did some of that ages ago for Planet/Energis. I believe this was
removed since no one understood how it worked after I left -- again,
that's what I've been told. I don't really know.

Most of it were C code that read /proc files -- don't even start with
puthon or perl or anything like that. It's just too slow and has too
much impact on the server. I don't think it's hard to do again.

If all you want is some states, then a little C code should parse the
log files and be easy enough to do. Hell, there perl/python maybe
easier to code but will thrash your machine unless the log files are
small (< gigs).

--
yann@???                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   009D 7287 C4A7 FD4F 1680  06E4 F751 7006 9DE2 6318