Re: [Exim] Forwarding to exposed mail server for outbound em…

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: James Herschel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Forwarding to exposed mail server for outbound email
On Jun 25, 2004, at 09:18, James Herschel wrote:

> I have two servers (Exim 4.3 / Debian Sarge). One is exposed and is
> our
> mail server. The other is a workgroup server and is therefore not
> exposed. I would like to forward alerts, etc. from the workgroup
> server
> to the exposed server for pickup.

On each server, you will want to:
    # dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low exim4-config

On the workgroup server, you should then:
   - when asked to 'Select the configuration type...', choose
     [mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail]

   - When asked to 'enter the hostname of the machine to which
     outgoing mail is sent', type the FQDN of the "internal"
     interface of your exposed machine (i.e. how you would
     contact it from your LAN)

On your "exposed" machine:

   - when asked to 'Select the configuration type...', choose
     [internet site; mail is sent and received directly using SMTP]

   - when asked to 'enter here the networks of local machines for
     which you accept to relay the mail', type in the CIDR of your
     internal LAN (e.g. "192.168.0.0/24").

     You can also type in a filename, and then in that file include
     that same specification.

     Or if you use something like DRAC for pop-before-smtp integration
     with Cyrus, you would enter:
        net-dbmnz;/var/lib/drac/dracd.db

     Etc.etc.

-tor