Re: [Exim] Server response to error codes

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: cjackson
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Server response to error codes
[ On Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 16:29:25 (-0500), Craig Jackson wrote: ]
> Subject: [Exim] Server response to error codes
>
> Does anyone have a source of information on various mail servers and
> their response to error codes?
>
> Recently I implemented greylisting on my server named Mailscan (Exim
> 4.34); but I noticed that our Groupwise 5.5 bounces the outgoing mail to
> the greylisting Exim server at 451 after RCPT. This is a test situation
> now.

"bounce" and "451" does not compute. :-)

As we all know any 4xx response code is a _temporary_ error.

Do you mean the GroupWise server returned a 451 response to the RCPT
command sent by Exim? Or do you mean the GroupWise server treated a 451
response to its own RCPT command as a permanent error and did not retry
delivery of the message as it should?

I'm guessing you mean the latter, given the context.

Have you checked to see if there are any configuration options on the
GroupWise server that might change its behaviour?

> I need to know what other mail servers are going to do with a 451.
>
> Any information sources on this?

I've never run across any such list that even begins to cover just the
most common servers.

A counter question might be: Do you have any idea what types of mail
servers make up the majority of those originating the normal legitimate
traffic your site receives?

I.e. since you don't care what any sources of unwanted traffic do with
any temporary error code you might send them (that's the whole point of
implementing something like greylisting after all, isn't it?) so if you
narrow your question down to just those specific types of mailers that
you know you get the majority of your legitimate traffic from then you
can begin to target your question to those who are more likely to be
able to answer it. :-)

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>