Re: [Exim] Transports

Autor: Alan J. Flavell
A: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Transports
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Graham Dodd wrote:

> Hello exim-users,
>
> my mail server is being flooded by a SPAM (if your in Germany then you have
> probably seen this already) which doesn't get caught by SA. At the end
> all this mail get's rejected and sent back to the "non-existent" sender.

                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OUCH. We're keeping the spam out OK[1], but when the spammers fake
our addresses as sender, we're being flooded by these stupid
non-delivery reports!!! I had to temporarily block several
otherwise-respectable German MTAs for making a pesky nuisance of
themselves with these daft reports.

> All I want to do right now is drop the mail.

What's wrong with rejecting it at SMTP time? The zombies which the
spammers are using to relay the spam won't be trying to report the
nondelivery to anyone, thank Goodness.

Excuse me while I go and find a brick wall to bang my head against.

[1] No particular special measures, just our usual anti-spam measures,
with a bit of tuning for blocking of dynamic/dialups; although I see
from this thread that there -are- some specific tests that can be
applied if you're willing to let it go as far as the DATA stage. We
would have rejected most of the original spams before we got that far,
judging from our logs. But the damned rejection reports are a kettle
of horses of a different colour :-(