Re: Bug reporting and monitoring [Was Re: [Exim-dev] Code qu…

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-dev
New-Topics: [Exim-dev] Re: libpcre dependencies [was Re: Bug reporting and monitoring]
Subject: Re: Bug reporting and monitoring [Was Re: [Exim-dev] Code quality measurements and automated checks]
On 2004-06-25 Ollie Cook <ollie@???> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 08:31:14AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > On 2004-06-24 Nico Erfurth <masta@???> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > P.S.: Colin, could you finally drop the libpcre dependency in
> > > gentoos exim-package?

> > I assume that is a vote for linking exim statically instead
> > dynamically against libpcre. - Why would you want that?

> Exim ships with a version of libprce already in the tarball which it
> uses during the build process, so it doesn't need the library
> installed previously. I ~think~ that's what Nico is getting at.

The problem with this is:
- it is a waste of resources, especially memory (the dynamically linked
library is shared between multiple exim instances)

- It makes security updates a PITA. If there ever is a security
  problem in pcre you'll need to issue updates for every package
  statically linking against it, instead of just for the library
  package. There wa a problem in zlib about a year ago iirc that
  nicely illustated this.
              cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"