RE: [Exim] New Metod to Control SPAM : Mail Online Listing

Author: Erik Jacobs
To: 'Steve Thomas', exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] New Metod to Control SPAM : Mail Online Listing
> And then there's the fact that the vast majority of spam
> comes through proxies, trojaned machines, etc. Very little
> spam is sent through ISP servers these days, from what I'm seeing.
>
> It's a responsible thing to do and would certainly help with
> the accounting, but I don't think it'd do much of anything to
> abate the spam problem.

This isn't entirely true. Many people are calling the recent email-based
virii "attacks" SPAM. This would help to cut down on the net internet
impact of these email sending worms as it woud essentially shut down a
user's ability to send email after they had exceeded their limit.

There was a recent article on CNN's tech section that actually spoke about
this very thing -- imposing send mail limits on customers of an ISP (cable,
dsl, whatever).

I don't think it's worth all that much. The ISPs would be better off
banding together and offering anti-virus software to avoid those types of
problems.

Erik Jacobs
Still trying to figure out how to do my custom "selective relay" router =(