Re: [Exim] quota_warn_threshold specifics

Author: Christian Balzer
To: Mark T. Valites
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] quota_warn_threshold specifics
Mark wrote:

>I'm starting to suspect that the 'quota' setting only considers the
>contents of the directory specified in the 'directory' setting, not the
>user's total disk usage on the file system of the 'directory' - can
>someone confirm this for me?

Pasting the relevant bits of your transport would help a bit, but
basically yes. This is all rather well documented, too. Exim
uses the actually used bytes instead of the FS blocks. In a maildir
scenario it will take all the files and subdirectories in that
mail directory into account. If you have a OS/FS based quota in place
see Dan Egli's reply, but if you want to use exim's quota mechanism
make sure that you don't have FS quotas on that user/maildir or that
those quotas are 50-100% higher than what exim is set to. YMMV.

>Secondly, is there a sure fire way to trigure the quota_warn_message? I
>really want to test this out, but just can't get it to go.

Make sure the "directory" is over the threshold (but below the total
quota permitted) and try to deliver a mail. Use "du --apparent-size"
if your du has this flag to determine that information. Plain du will
always be larger (easily 50% with maildir, small mails, 4KB blocks)
than the actual bytes used (which is what exim quite correctly counts).

>Lastly, if a user gets one quota_warn_message and then drops back below
>their quota, will they get another message if they go over again? Does
>exim keep this data in a hints db of some type/can I look at when a log of
>when a user went over?

They will get warned again, as they should. The logs will report when
a user really went over quota, they don't really show the insertion of
the warning message specifically. However it will show up in the logs
somewhat like this:
---
2004-06-16 16:39:52 1BaV1U-0004EY-81 <= <> R=1BaV1T-0004EQ-Va U=root P=local S=571
2004-06-16 16:39:52 1BaV1U-0004EY-81 => /mail/path/to/user <user@???> R=ldap_local T=address_dir S=634
2004-06-16 16:39:52 1BaV1U-0004EY-81 Completed
---

Regards,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi@???       Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services