Re: [Exim] AOL - SPF - and EXIM

Author: Avleen Vig
To: Edgar Lovecraft
CC: 'Exim User's Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [Exim] AOL - SPF - and EXIM
On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 09:08:43AM -0500, Edgar Lovecraft wrote:
> >    An SMTP server MAY verify that the domain name parameter in the
> > EHLO    command actually corresponds to the IP address of the client.
> > However, the server MUST NOT refuse to accept a message for this
> > reason if the verification fails: the information about verification
> > failure is for logging and tracing only.

> It DOES say "MUST NOT refuse to accept a message for this reason".
> It DOES NOT say "MUST NOT 5xx the HELO/EHLO command as inappropriate
> for this reason".

Actually if we really want to get picky about it, it doesn't say when
you can't reject because of the HELO/EHLO. It just says that you can't.
Period. So if it's inappropriate after the HELO, rejecting it after RCPT
BECAUSE of HELO should be equally inappropriate.

It's not dictating when you can/can't block something, it's dictating
what you can block on regardless of the place you're at in the SMTP
conversation..

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator