[Exim] Problems with freeze_exec_fail and temp_errors

Author: Matthias Waffenschmidt
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [Exim] DOS/DDOS/SPAM and exim
Subject: [Exim] Problems with freeze_exec_fail and temp_errors
Hi,

inside an aliases file a perl script is invoked via pipe.

Currently a bounce message is generated, if this script fails, but the
desired behaviour would be to freeze the message.

The most obvious option that came to my mind is freeze_exec_fail.

But freeze_exec_fail only freezes the mail, if the perl script does
not exist. If the perl script exits with a non-zero exit status, Exim
generates a bounce mail ignoring freeze_exec_fail.

Since Exim gets the exit status of the pipe command, I don't see, why
this is not catched correctly. This may be an item for the WishList
(didn't find it there) or at least the documentation should be
clarified.

The next best solution would probably be using temp_errors to at least
defer the message. Unfortunately setting temp_errors to * does not
defer the mail, if the perl script fails. Instead Exim sends a bounce
message and the log file reads:

Child process of address_pipe transport returned 255 (could mean shell
command ended by signal 127 (unrecognized signal number)) from
command: ...'

Explicitly setting temp_errors to 255 does not change this
behaviour. Is this a bug or am I misinterpreting the docs?

Thanks for any help.

--
Gruss / Best regards   |  LF.net GmbH        |  fon +49 711 90074-411
Matthias Waffenschmidt |  Ruppmannstr. 27    |  fax +49 711 90074-33