[Exim] Re: SMTP Logging

Author: Steven Ericsson-Zenith
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: SMTP Logging
Lonnie Santella wrote:
> What I'm asking for is a good approach to storing and recording message
> bodies so they can be retrieved based on intelligent, structured searches. I
> had always believed that database storage of emails was the best method for
> this, but if there's a better way, I'm all ears.

Your intuitions are right in my view - though, if the data is unstructured and
does not need stat reports then you might consider a search engine approach as
suggested. But, from what you say, it sounds like you have report and tracking
requirements that would not be met by this approach.

For the volume you have suggested a pipe transport through a script that
does the decomposition and database storage may suit you - or you might
consider sending the email to BSMTP files and processing those files
periodically to populate your database - for example, you could do this
once per day offline.

Sincerely,
Steven

--