Re: [Exim] help - building 4.34 w/ SASL support

Author: gbrotherton
To: Matt Bernstein
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] help - building 4.34 w/ SASL support
Thanks for the reply, Matt.

Before I did the 4.34 compile, I did apt-get install of the latest libc6-dev libraries, the open-ssl dev-libraries and Open SSL, the pam-dev libraries, then PAM, then the saslauth-dev package (I don't remember the name in the apt-get list). The Exim 4.34 compile went fine after that. So, all should be latest versions. I know I should remove those dev libraries and just stick with the run times.

I didn't check to see if saslauthd had started and I wasn't aware that a test option was available. I've never used saslauth in the past.

This is the first time I've started up a mail server. It's only being used at home, I don't do this for a living. (Possibly one day? I would like to add this to my resume.)

I have been going through the ACL options in chapters 37 and 38. But essentially, yes, I needed a "recipe" or at least good guidence to set up Exim and get familiar with it's features. I would rather use the encryption, such as MD5, rather than plain text.

I'll check up on that saslauthd at boot time and get back to you.

Thanks again for the reply.

-Gene