Re: [Exim] Setup secure SMTP for XP/Outlook

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Setup secure SMTP for XP/Outlook
--
On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 10:56:27AM +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> I have a couple of clients who need to be able to send mail through my
> server. Up to now I have been using cram-md5 authentication, but this
> does not look like it is available for XP/Outlook.
>
> Is the best combination plain text authentication over SSL?

It depends what you mean by "best". Using an encrypted authenticatiion
mechanism over an encrypted channel is belt-and-braces security and I'm
all for that level of paranoia. OTOH, if you want to do PAM
authentication, you need plain text.

Since you were already using CRAM-MD5, have you considered using SPA?
Outlook/XP should support this (SPA being a mechanism that MS devised).

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_toc.html#TOC250

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline. I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock