[Exim] Exim 4.32 & FreeBSD 4.10 Release

Autor: Lonnie Santella
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Exim 4.32 & FreeBSD 4.10 Release
I've already read the docs and faq's - and I wrote to FreeBSD.org. I'm still
at a loss here.

My question seems fundamental, but I can't find the answer.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.10 Release. I'm trying to install Exim 4.32 from the
Ports collection. A regular default installation from the Ports tree works
fine. The problem arises when I want to make changes to the "Local/Makefile"
file. In the ports/mail/exim directory, there are no subdirectories until
you run the "make" command - then all the other files and subdirectories
appear. But then it's too late to make changes prior to the binary build,
which is what must be done in order to set the "log_file_path" string.

I followed the directions of editing the Makefile, then creating a directory
named "Local" and placing the edited "Makefile" in there. But then running
the "make" command ignores the "Local/Makefile" file.

All I want is to set some variables in the "Local/Makefile" file - prior to
the first "make" - but these files/directories don't exist until you run the
first make. This is a catch 22.

How is this done in FreeBSD 4.10 Release, when you use the ports collection?

Thanks,

Lonnie