[Exim] Re: spool over NFS?

Autor: Miquel van Smoorenburg
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Re: spool over NFS?
In article <20040603233416.GB15833@???>,
Peter D. Gray <pdg@???> wrote:
>I think most of the information I have seen in this thread is
>correct, but the circumstances for it being correct have
>not been stated.
>
>From my knowledge:
>
>- if you use NFS version 3 AND you set the timeout
>    on the attribute cache to 0 (no attribute caching)
>    then there is no problem using NFS for anything
>    as long as you do your locking properly.

>    This is because NFSv3 has an atomic file create
>    operation which allows .lock files to work
>    ala UFS. Also, attribute information is returned
>    with every aknowledgement.

But not all clients implement the NFS O_EXCL stuff. For example,
the Linux NFS client doesn't up till this day because it doesn't
fit into the Linux VFS semantics (O_EXCL is being done at the VFS
level, not at the FS level). Yes, that sucks.

The only guaranteed cross-platform exclusive/atomic operation
is link(2).

>    But, if you fail to get a fcntl lock, you must
>    close and re-open the file before trying to get the
>    lock again.

Well that depends.

If you have access to a Debian box where liblockfile-dev is
installed, read the lockfile_create(3) manpage. Wait - ofcourse
there are copies on the web. Read:

http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html/usr/share/man/man3/lockfile_create.3.gz

Especially the REMOTE FILE SYSTEMS AND THE KERNEL ATTRIBUTE CACHE stuff.

Mike.