[Exim] Archiving incoming and outgoing e-mail

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Archiving incoming and outgoing e-mail
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a question that comes up once in a while, but I have a
different version of it.
I have waded through the archives of this list. However I still
need more ideas.I need to create a mechanism to create monthly
archive files of all incoming and outgoing mail for each of a
series of local users/domains.

I also want to make life easier for the users by giving them access
to these e-mails. I would like to organize the archived copies by
month so basically I am thinking of keeping the mail in maildir
folders.

Say,

BACKUP_DIR = /BACKUP/${domain}/${local_part}/Maildir/${substr_0_7:$tod_log}/

Then I want BACKUP_DIR/incoming/ and BACKUP_DIR/outgoing/ to hold copies
of incoming and outgoing mail respectively.

It appears fairly easy to use a shadow transport of the local_delivery
transport to keep copies of all incoming mail, but this doesn't look
like what I actually want.

With the following,

condition = ${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch{/etc/exim/mail_backup_users}{1}{0}}

I can decide who to backup mail for. I may as well use a DB query for
this so it isn't a problem.

I foresee the following problem:

Suppose I want a user to access the archive via imap (NOT pop3) the folders
don't seem accessible. What would you recommend as the layout that would
make this possible?

How easy (ideas) would it be to achieve this goal using

(a) routers/transports
(b) the system filter

TIA

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post