[Exim] Re: spool over NFS?

Autor: Miquel van Smoorenburg
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Re: spool over NFS?
In article <40BDFDBB.5000901@???>,
Nigel Wade <nmw@???> wrote:
>Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> In article <jbm.20040601010121.00294060@User21>,
>> Edgar Lovecraft <exim-list@???> wrote:
>>
>>>As to too the locking issues that were 'patched', this has more to do
>>>with the systems you use, Linux has major problems with NFS and locking,
>>>even today, Sun/HP/AIX/SGI/etc. support NFS much better.
>>
>> Now if you're running Linux 2.0 with the user level NFS server,
>> then yes, NFS is flakey. But this is the 21st century you know ;)
>
>Yep, it's the 21st century and the Linux kernel still has problems with NFS.
>
>I'm currently trying to track down why Linux clients (RedHat 9 and FC1) show
>duplicate entries in directories with large numbers of files. The info sent
>out by the NFS server is ok, but ls on the client lists duplicates, and RH9
>shows different duplicates to FC1.

Well, it _might_ be a glibc bug. I remember that it had problems
with getdents64() over NFS. Otherwise, I have never seen that
happening.

Furthermore, I tend to stay away from RedHat. Their kernels and
libc's are patched beyond reckognition, it's hard to find if it's
a real bug or a bug in the stuff redhat added.

If you can reproduce it, tell the Linux NFS maintainer about it.
Trond Myklebust - trond.myklebust at fys.uio.no .

This is getting offtopic. I'll shut up now.

Mike.