Re: [Exim] Re: spool over NFS?

Author: Nigel Wade
To: Miquel van Smoorenburg
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: spool over NFS?
Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <jbm.20040601010121.00294060@User21>,
> Edgar Lovecraft <exim-list@???> wrote:
>
>>As to too the locking issues that were 'patched', this has more to do
>>with the systems you use, Linux has major problems with NFS and locking,
>>even today, Sun/HP/AIX/SGI/etc. support NFS much better.
>

> The Linux NFS client has supported NFS locking for years (since 2.2 or so).
>
> The Linux kernel NFS server also supports NFS locking, and has been
> really stable since kernel 2.4.something (also years).
>
> Now if you're running Linux 2.0 with the user level NFS server,
> then yes, NFS is flakey. But this is the 21st century you know ;)
>
> Mike.

Yep, it's the 21st century and the Linux kernel still has problems with NFS.

I'm currently trying to track down why Linux clients (RedHat 9 and FC1) show
duplicate entries in directories with large numbers of files. The info sent
out by the NFS server is ok, but ls on the client lists duplicates, and RH9
shows different duplicates to FC1.

Not very nice if you were running a mail spool on that directory...

E-mail :    nmw@???
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555