Re: [Exim] double dot in message body

Author: Jochen Erwied
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] double dot in message body
On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 07:57:55PM +0000, Sue Tyler wrote:

> we are running exim v4.30 and are experiencing some problems with mails being sent through the MTA. from
> what we have so far seen, it seems that when a client sends a mail containing 2 dots on one line in the message
> body, that exim strips one of the dots then regards the next dot as being EOF. This behaviour has been seen
> with a simple telnet 25 session ... this is what we see:

A single .<cr><lf> terminates a message. To be able to transmit single
dots or lines starting with a dot, they have to be escaped as double dots.

> When a mail is created with the following data:
> hello
> .
> hello2

Tested this with my local exim 4.34, the text above is transmitted exactly
as given, which is ok since no line starts with a dot.

This text:

double dot
..
space dot
.
double dot text
.. text
single dot text
. text
single dot

was received as:

double dot
.
space dot
.
double dot text
. text
single dot text
text
single dot

The last single dot terminates the message. There are some MTA which would
terminate the message after the 'single dot text'. AFAIR Novell Groupwise
had this problem.

> Similar tests with other MTAs don't show this effect. Anybody have any suggestions how we can work around
> this ?

Then they do not implement SMTP correctly.

--
Jochen Erwied     | home: jochen@???     +49-208-38800-18, FAX: -19
Sauerbruchstr. 17 | work: joe@???  +49-2151-7294-24, FAX: -50