Re: [Exim] Delay 220 greeting to reduce spam?

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Delay 220 greeting to reduce spam?
Mike Bacher wrote:

> Is there a way to make exim delay giving the initial 220 greeting for an
> arbitrary amount of time (say, 40 seconds or so)? The idea is that most
> spamware will give up after 30 seconds (most are quite impatient from
> what I've read) and move on to the next host. Others that have
> implemented it on their MTAs have seen good results with this method.

Just add a delay in the smtp_connect acl.

to delay ALL connections:

domains = *
delay = 40s
accept

However, you should note that there is a bunch of MTA software whos
developers seem to think that 30 sec is long enough to wait, and they drop
the connection if they have not seen the greeting by then. I did have good
success with various delays, but I finally turned them off as I got tired
of educating other MTA admins that the RFC's recomend 5 minutes :P

--

--EAL--