[Exim] Certain subnets getting blocked when sending

Author: moliveri
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Certain subnets getting blocked when sending
Hey folks,

Got an odd one. I'm using Exim 4.22_4 on FreeBSD 4.9. We're a small ISP
and we have several folks hooked directly to our LAN in our building. On
certain subnets, customers are not able to send mail to non-local users.

The subnet in question is 204.248.53.0, and is divided into subnets such
as 204.248.53.0 subnet mask 255.255.255.224.

Two workstations are receiving the "550 Relaying and spam not permitted"
error message, and that's the error message I have at the end of my
acl_smtp_rcpt ACL. The IP addresses for those workstations are
204.248.53.142 and 204.248.53.144, each with the subnet mask above.
However, they can send to customers within our domain.

Workstations in our office work fine, though, and we're using IP's in the
range 204.248.53.34-54 with the same subnet mask.

In our hostlist relay_from_hosts, I have 204.248.53.0/24

My ACL pretty much follows the default in the Exim book:

accept hosts = :
deny local_parts = ^.*[@%!/|] : ^\\.
accept  local_parts   = postmaster
    domains       = +local_domains
require verify = sender
accept  domains       = +local_domains
    endpass
    message             = Unkown user
    verify              = recipient
accept  domains       = +relay_to_domains
    endpass
    message       = Unrouteable address
    verify        = recipient
accept  hosts         = +relay_from_hosts
accept  authenticated = *
deny    message       = Relaying and spam not permitted

We are seeing the same problem with two different mail clients (Eudora and
Outlook Express) and even with SMTP authentication enabled on the client.
Also, we are seeing the same problem when one of the users attempts to
send mail through SquirrelMail (webmail client).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike Oliveri
Systems Administrator