[Exim] Can't send mail; not seeing the problem

Autor: Mike Oliveri
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Can't send mail; not seeing the problem
Hello,

I've just spent the night upgrading a FreeBSD server and moving from
Exim 3.36 to 4.22. I can send mail from Pine logged in to the machine
directly, but if I try to send from any client, I run afoul of my
acl_smtp_rcpt somehow. For the most part I've returned it to the
default setup, and tried killing the recipient verifications to see if
that's the problem. Here's my ACL (guiding comments, etc., trimmed):

acl_check_rcpt:
  accept  hosts = :
  deny    local_parts   = ^.*[@%!/|] : ^\\.
  accept  local_parts   = postmaster
  # Deny our own blacklisted domains
  # deny        domains = +deny_domains   #tried this both enabled and disabled
  # require verify        = sender   #tried this enabled and disabled
  accept  domains       = +local_domains
  #       endpass
  #       verify        = recipient/callout=10s
  accept  domains       = +relay_to_domains
  #        endpass
  #        verify        = recipient
 accept  hosts         = +relay_from_hosts
 accept  authenticated = *
 deny    message       = relaying and spam not permitted

I get the "relaying and spam not permitted" message, so I figure it
has to be the ACL and I'm too tired to see what I'm missing.

local_domains is a file (domainlist local_domains = /etc/sendmail.cw)
containing a plain list of local domains. relay_from_hosts is the same
list of hosts I copied over from the previous setup, and is a
colon-delimited list of host names and IP addresses. There are no
relay_from_hosts defined. I've tried deny_domains enabled and disabled
as mentioned, but it, too, is a simple list of domains I pulled from a
spammer list somewhere. The files are owned by root but are
world-readable.

Again, I suspect I'm too tired or I just missed something in the book.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mike Oliveri
UTI Systems, Inc.