Re: [Exim] exim 4.34, smtp-auth and pam

Autor: Bruce Richardson
A: Exim Users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] exim 4.34, smtp-auth and pam
On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 01:56:33PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> So... having google'd forver, I resort to asking for help :)

From the Exim docs:

"In some operating systems, PAM authentication can be done only from a
process running as root. Since Exim is running as the Exim user when
receiving messages, this means that PAM cannot be used directly in
those systems. A patched version of the "pam_unix" module that comes
with the Linux PAM package is available from
http://www.e-admin.de/pam_exim/. The patched module allows one special
uid/gid combination, in addition to root, to authenticate. If you build
the patched module to allow the Exim user and group, PAM can then be
used from an Exim authenticator."

An alternative would be to use the Cyrus pwcheck daemon and the pwcheck
condition. You can install Cyrus pwcheck on its own, with no need to
add the rest of the suite.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.