Re: [Exim] Most probably bug with host lists verifying

Author: Andrew V Stikheev
To: ph10
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Most probably bug with host lists verifying
According to Philip Hazel:
> On Wed, 19 May 2004, Andrew V Stikheev wrote:
>
> > If in a hosts list (hostlist,smtp_ratelimit_hosts,rfc1413_hosts,...)
> > a non-existent domain is included, then exim doesn't try to match
> > the verified host with the list items after the non-existent domain
> > and treats the verified host as not present in the hosts list.
> > If a "+include_unknown" string is present in the list prior to non-existent
> > domain, then exim treats the verified host as present in the hosts list.
>
> As specified.
>
> > For example:
> >
> > 1) hostlist relay_from_hosts = non-existent-domain : 192.168.0.1
> >
> > In this case relay from 192.168.0.1 not permitted.
>
> Correct. Exim assumes you have screwed up by specifying a non-existent
> host. So it takes a cautious line.

But it's wrong assumption, because it's may be a temporary dns problem,
for example a error after regular reconfiguration. In this situation
relay not permitted from all hosts until I'm fixed this error in dns.
Relay from all hosts not permitted because of the problem with only the one.
Imho, it's a wrong strategy.

What about a smtp_ratelimit_hosts? In this case the rate limit is disabled for
all hosts. Is it right?

> > 2) hostlist relay_from hosts = +include_unknown : non-existent-domain
> >
> > In this case relay permitted from any host.
>
> Sounds like you want a new feature called +ignore_unknown.

It will be the best solution. By default :)?

--
P.S. I'm not recieved your letter to sand@???, so i can't reply.
Andrew V Stikheev               Russian Institute