Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

Autor: Kelley Reynolds
A: Lists - Exim
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?
--- Original Message ---
From: Dan Egli <dan@???>
Sent: Mon, 17 May 2004 13:41:30 -0600
To: "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming@???>
Subject: Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
> > Dan Egli wrote:
> >
> >> Guess again! As I've stated, there are a total of TWO, yes, TWO
> >> companies in my area that provide high speed connections. The Phone Co,
> >> and the Cable Co. And the phone co keeps saying I cannot get DSL, so
> >> that leaves CableModem. So I'm back to what I said origionally. Either
> >> get my Cable Co to give me a static IP/Reverse DNS pointer, or tell my
> >> PHONE copmany to get a DSL to me and I'll quit griping. But UNTIL a
> >> Static IP is POSSIBLE for me, Don't go telling me what I should do just
> >> because it works for you.
> >

> > Comcast does not offer any business cable modem service with static IPs?
> > We are in the same situation here, only the telco and the cable co
> > provide high speed service, but Cox offers plenty of static IP options
> > (including a "gamer's package" that is for home use with a static IP).
> >

> Not last time I looked and if they did I doubt I could afford it. Not
> when, as stated earlier, I'm lucky to have $30 after paying all the
> monthly expenses.
>
> Now Qwest, while slower than ComCast, does offer Business services. And
> although I'd pay more for it I know I could afford THAT.

This probably isn't what anybody wants to hear, but given that this has grown offtopic anyway, I thought I'd throw my .02 in.

Is there a reason that you aren't simply hosting your website/email at a company that provides said integrated solutions? I see banner ads all the time for shared hosting for $5/month, $10/month, etc, and actual, whole servers for less than $100 (that you could maybe go in on with a friend or two in lieu of maybe not having those funds available). If what you desire is cheap, reasonably reliable hosting, perhaps one of these solutions might fit a little better than trying to shoehorn business-like characteristics into a network that isn't designed for it. Ditching the cable modem, replacing it with a cheaper dialup and using offsite hosting sounds like it will accomplish everything that you desire with much less hassle.

That said, you will always be fighting an uphill battle if you wish to try to convince the rest of the world that your computer alone out of thousands on a residential cable network should be listened to. Many people on this list and otherwise block traffic from whole sections of the internet due to things you cannot control with your residential line (rDNS, computers on similar network blocks, etc)

Kelley Reynolds