RE: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

Author: Mike 'Fraz' White
To: 'Edgar Lovecraft', exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

this
> > way ;o)
>
> I never did say that there was an RFC that says that.

---8<---

I did stick a little winky smiley in there Edgar :-)

> My point is this,

--8<--

We're not all in a position to have 'proper' DNS, sad fact of life. All
I'm suggesting is that for those 'minnows' out here that can be bothered
to take the time to run a network server as responsibly as they can
within the limitations that they have, is that just maybe there could be
some sort of testing system,possibly as suggested by the maintainers of
the current RBLs, that would enable them/us to do just that whilst at
the same time keeping the bigger fish happy. After all noone
particularly likes spam/viruses etc do we :-)

> Lastly, perhaps I have better luck than most, but I just do not accept

the
> 'My ISPs mailserver sucks' argument as an acceptable reason for not
> sending
> your email through their gateway. If their mailserver sucks so bad,

then
> how is the rest of their service? At least in the USA, there are too

many
> options to not pick a better ISP.

There's one cable company operating in my area and the actual raw
connection has been damn near perfect (as stated elsewhere less than 72
hours of downtime in 5 years including 2 house moves),unfortunately
their SMTP,news etc has not been so reliable (although getting better it
must be said). I like the control that running my own server gives me,
no wondering if the mail is stuck in a queue somewhere because my ISPs
server is temporarily overloaded for any reason.

Yes I could switch to an ADSL provider & see if they're any better but
that would also involve me switching telco providers as I can't have
adsl via my cable telephone line.

--
Mike 'Fraz' White
www.smartowner.co.uk