RE: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?
Mike 'Fraz' White wrote:

..[snip]...

> This is becoming more of a common problem as ISPs (quite rightly IMHO)
> try to stem the flow of viruses to their customers. Unfortunately for
> those customers (business & residential) on dynamically assigned IPs
> (even if like mine the lease period is 7 days or longer) who are

So go get a static IP that can be properly reversed.

> knowingly running SMTP servers this can cause a few problems. My
> personal experience from my previous job is that customers knowingly
> running mail servers are very rarely, if ever, a problem.

And the outside world can determine if you are one of those how?

> The solution I'm using is to have the following as my first router
>
> Dynamically_blocked_fallback_smarthost_router:
> driver = manualroute
> domains = </path/to/list/of/dynamic/unfriendly/isps>

How about domains = !+local

> route_list = * <smarthost.server>:<your.server>
> transport = remote_smtp
>

> So that mails to known "dynamically unfriendly" ISPs are routed via my
> ISP.

Even though, all your email should be sent this way.

> The main disadvantage of this over the approach you were looking at is
> that it requires your list of ISPs to be updated manually although I
> suppose you could run a script to tail your exim log and automatically
> update the list once a "550 dynamically blocked" message is received.

The main disadvantage is that it is a lot of extra work, when you should
just be sending all your emai lto the smarthost in this case.

--

--EAL--