Re: [Exim] Secondary MX - defer if primary is up

Autor: Stephen Gran
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Secondary MX - defer if primary is up
On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 09:39:32PM +0200, Raymond Dijkxhoorn said:
> Hi!
>
> What if your primary is unreachable for the sending host due to
> routing issues? You wanna drop those also ? I mean, its not ALL spam
> thats going to higher priority MXes...

Not drop - defer. If I can reach the primary, and they can't, then
there is probably some transient routing problems between the two hosts.
A decent MTA on the sending end should hold the mail for at least a day
or two in the event of primary being unreachable and secondary issuing a
4xx. My plan with seting this up is to use something like logsurfer to
watch the exim logs on the secondary, and trigger an email or page if
there's some large number of hits in a short time, letting us know that
there might be a problem like this. If we see some problem like this,
then we change it to accept (for at least that host, or maybe in
general). That's the plan anyway - ideally, routing issues won't last
so long that this actually becomes a problem.

|  Stephen Gran                  | There must be at least 500,000,000 rats |
|  steve@???             | in the United States; of course, I      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | never heard the story before.           |