Re: [Exim] SMTP-Auth

Author: Yves Goergen
To: Paulo Andre
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP-Auth
On 13.05.2004 16:42 (+0200), Paulo Andre wrote:
> I have mananged to get SMTP-Auth working but it seems to only requiring the
> auth when sending email out of the server. When email is sent internally then
> no auth is required. I would like to stop someone from using telnet to access
> the server and send email from joesoap@??? to pandre@???,
> with pandre being a 'live' email address. Is this possible and if so any
> pointers.

Is that possible at all? I mean, a mail server should be able to receive
mail for local users in any case. Imaging an external mail server, say
from hotmail.com. If another user (assume no spammer...) wants to send
you a mail, it will be resent (relayed) by hotmail which in turn will
send it to the MX of your domain. But hotmail won't have AUTH data for
your mail server, so this must work unauthenticated. You get the point?
So if you require authentication for *any* user, you won't be able to
receive mail from the outer world any more.

--
Yves Goergen <nospam.list@???>

BlackBoard Internet Newsboard System --> blackboard.unclassified.de
Free (GPL), easy to use and install, secure, innovative! (PHP+MySQL)