Re: [Exim] delay after DATA

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Ian A B Eiloart
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] delay after DATA
--On Thursday, May 13, 2004 10:44 am +0100 Chris Edwards
<chris@???> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2004, Matt Bernstein wrote:
>
>| No no no Mr RFC.. Delays after DATA are working just fine on our mailer.
>| Yes there is a chance of duplicate mail iff the client MTA doesn't
>| follow RFC2821. 20s is well under 10m, and all MTAs ought to be
>| well-connected.
>
> 10 min may be the max allowed. However, RFC 1047 expects you to minimise
> delay at this stage:
>
> "receiving mailers should acknowledge the final dot as soon as possible"
>
> ...advice which applies just as much today, what with spam/virus scanning
> during the DATA stage etc.

Well, no. The word should is defined like this:

 "SHOULD"
              This word or the adjective "RECOMMENDED" means that there
              may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to
              ignore this item, but the full implications should be
              understood and the case carefully weighed before choosing
              a different course.

The "particular circumstance" - one which has arisen since the RFC 2821
came into being - is the overwhelming flood of spam that most MTAs see.
I've not seen a strong positive argument *against* doing this, in this
thread - just arguments *for*, and arguments that nothing is achieved.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team