Re: [Exim] Exim - Connection is slow to initiate

Autor: Peter Bowyer
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim - Connection is slow to initiate
John Reddin <jreddin@???> wrote:
> Hello,
>    Currently we have two servers running OpenBsd 3.1, and Exim v3.34.
> We have a web server that is trying to send an E-mail (confirmation of
> registration) via either of these servers.  The mail is delivered,
> but it takes up to 30 seconds to leave the web server (a long time
> for the user to wait). When I telnet to either server on port 25, it
> takes up to 30 seconds for the banner to be displayed.  If I use
> another protocol (ssh etc.) the connection is almost instantaneous.
> Question, what is Exim doing that takes so long!  I have covered our
> ip address range in the host_accept_relay field, and I have tried the
> exim -bh with the IP address or the web server - the response is very
> quick.  I may be confusing issues here, but any help would be
> appreciated.

The exim server is doing an rfc1413 ident query to the calling host. A
firewall inbetween is filtering this, leaving exim to wait for a timeout
before giving up.

You could fix this by :

- letting the ident query through the firewall so it hits either an active
ident service or a closed port on the calling server

or

- telling exim not to bother or timeout more quickly- see rfc1413_hosts and
rfc1413_timeout options.

Peter